Snow removal contract awarded for Osakis Public Schools
Snow removal bids were received by the Osakis School Board at its Monday, Nov. 13 meeting, and a contract was awarded for the current season.
Schultz Sand and Gravel had the low bid $900 per snow event of more than two inches. The agreement calls for the plowing to be completed by 7 a.m. on school days, with removal of the snow from the school property within 48 hours of the snowfall.
When there is less than two inches of snowfall, the contract calls for on-call as needed.
Two bids were received, with the high bid at $950 per event, with an extra charge for having to remove cars left in the lot when removal was to begin.
The School Board approved the Schultz bid, and authorized Superintendent Randy Bergquist to negotiate and refine the snow removal terms for the 2018-19 school year.
ACT testing costs
The School Board voted to pay the cost of the ACT test for 40 junior students who are not covered by the Minnesota reimbursement plan for free and reduced lunch rate students. There are 57 juniors who will take the test, and the state will pay for 17.
Cost to the district for the ACT plus writing test will be $2,460. The ACT test is given at Osakis High School each year
In other business the School Board:
• Approved a leave of absence for Breann Adolphsen.
• Approved an additional 3.75 hours per day for assistant cook Polly LaForge.
• Hired Melissa Bergquist as the junior high girls basketball coach at the Master Agreement amount of $2,439.
• Approved an additional 10.68 hours per week for paraprofessional Kristen Will for special education.
• Approved the contract with Horizon Public Health for the 2018 Early Childhood Screening at the fee scale of $75 for each child screened at age 3; $50 for each child screened at age 4; $40 for each child screened at age 5 or 6 prior to kindergarten; and $30 for each student screened within 30 days after first enrolling in a public school kindergarten if the student has not previously been screened.
• Approved a current school year nurse contract with Osakis Community Memorial Home/Galeon at a cost of $55 per hour during the contract period.
• Accepted gifts of $1,000 from Osakis Area Sportsman Assn., and $262 from the Brandon Fin and Feather Club, both for the archery program.
• Held the second reading of MSBA policies 601, 603, 612.1, and 616.
• Received committee reports, advance registration information for the MSBA January convention, and information on re-funding of bonds coming up in December.
• Heard reports from Principals Schmidt and Roggenbuck, and student board representative Riley Moundsden.