Galeon, school district agree on disaster plan
An agreement has been made between the Osakis School District and Community Memorial Home (Galeon) of Osakis in the event of unforeseen disaster, where Galeon must evacuate its occupants from the premises.
The agreement was penned at the Monday, Dec. 11 regular Osakis School Board meeting.
"This agreement does not obligate (the school) to provide services/supplies for the evacuated residents," the agreement states. Galeon will be responsible for providing medications, medical records, supplies, nutritional items, linens, and staff members as they are able.
"This is a short-term plan for accommodations until residents and tenants can be placed at other suitable medical facilities," the agreement states.
The School Board approved several personnel matters:
Approved resignation of Rebecca Macey as assistant cross country coach.
Approved resignation of Julie Backes as JH/assistant track and field coach.
Approved resignation of Barbara Sjerven as morning bus driver.
Added a morning bus route to Stan Triebenbach's driving schedule.
Hired Alexis Sadlemyer as a paraprofessional for 3.5 hours per day at $11.58 per hour for Head Start and fifth grade math. She can also help sub for paras.
Accepted the offer from Darrin Stoetzel as a volunteer wrestling coach.
In other business the board:
• Approved gifts of $750 from Jack and Suzie Toftey for scholarship; $750 from Ken and Dorothy Bjorklund for scholarship; $500 from Bell Bank/Kolten Adolphsen for scholarship; $280 from NFPA Education and Technology for fluid power challenge; $300 from AAA for the FCCLA program; $900 from the girls basketball student activity fund for Junior High uniform tops; $3,438.90 from the Athletic Club for weight room sound system; and $350 from the ECFE garage sale hosted by Seth Christensen and Amanda Kluver for ECFE.
• Heard a report from Principal Shad Schmidt. Hannah Dropik was the November winner of the Win the Day program. Two hundred students were nominated; six postcards sent home; and 10+ emails/tests went out to parents.
• Lions Club KidSight Screening is set for Dec. 19, and the K-3 holiday concert is Dec. 13.
• Heard a report from Principal Tim Roggenbuck that there will be an Early Out on Friday, Dec. 22 at 1 p.m. for the start of the Christmas vacation.
• Heard a request from Student Rep. Riley Moundsden to have a junior student nominated to the board.
• Heard from Supt. Bergquist that he has started a Twitter account to let people know what is happening in the Osakis Schools, and it is well received.
• Made plans to attend the MSBA annual convention in January, and to update the board's committee list for the 2018 year. Board Chair Becky Hensley will receive the Director's Award for completing 100+ hours of attendance at MSBA training and events during 2017-18.